Tuesday, July 28, 2009

We got 0wned!

Binrev.com is down. We were attacked as part of "the summer of HAX" which is a movement of black hat hackers who attack "white hat" sites. I always thought of binrev as more grey hat, but I guess they thought otherwise. I wouldn't mind teh attack itself so much except that they deleted everything in the process. The destruction is the part that I disagree with.

Anyway, because I am going out of town on Wednesday and will not be back until Thursday of next week, the site will be down until further notice. We have some backups (at the very worst case, I have backups from before the forums upgrades but hopefully we have more recent backups on an off-site server) but I do not have time to restore them right now. Perhaps some of the other guys on the team will be able to do something while I am gone.

Sorry about this everyone. People don't like me personally and they don't like binrev so unfortunately, we all pay the price. If I do not have recent backups, this may be the end of binrev anyway. It was costing too much money and time which I do not have so it may be bye-bye binrev.

Our first time hacked, may also be our last. They may have done me a favor.